Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A LaRoche..

Adam LaRoche will be donning a Red Sox jersey for the rest of the season. The big news today has been the Red Sox's acquisition of Pittsburgh's LaRoche in exchange for Portland SS Argenis Diaz and Greenville pitcher Hunter Strickland. Dont know Strickland... have met Argenis a few times though. I'm so happy that, out of all of this, I emerge feeling only the slightest twinge of sentimental sadness... the equivalent of a frown and an aww, hope Diaz does well with his new team.

What's going to happen if one of the guys I'm more attached to is the next to go? Do I leave work early to deal with my dismay? Do I sit at my desk and mope? I know my heart will be low. I've never had to go through this before, to the extent that I may experience it now. I didnt know much of anything about the farm system this time last year. Laying in bed last night, shortly after having eliminated not one but two beetles that had been flying around running into the ceiling/walls in the dark, I was giving consideration to the possibility that I may have to say goodbye to a player or two of whom I've grown quite fond over the past 6 months. I had the sudden explicit realization that this is happening now, by the end of the month, if it occurs.. and in that moment I braced myself for my own reaction to the idea, but was pleased when my heart didnt seize up with anxiety. I think I can handle it. Players are right to say that they cant worry about whether or not they'll be traded as they have no control over it. I should feel the same way, but when I'm in the moment watching "Adam LaRoche" become a trending topic on twitter, and when I know that in principle and practice I will part with a player before I part with the Red Sox, things get stressful. (I dont want to part with anyone involved!)

Petey's book signing is tomorrow at the Pru! Also excited for Fenway and the Cape League All Star game. But for now, lunch is over..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.