Monday, July 6, 2009

Still kickin'

Alright, so it's been a few weeks since my last visit to pavilionsro.blogspot.com . I've been caught up in a number of things. The one activity that most threw off my normal schedule was Soccer Nights- a soccer camp that my church (along with a number of other churches and area organizations) put on for kids around the area. Through all of last week, I essentially sprinted home (via public transportation of course) to change, get my car, and jet over to the field. Made for some seriously long days, that's for sure... but there was not a moment during which I wasnt having a blast. I met some GREAT little kids. The age range of my group was 4-6, with one 8 year old. Man alive, were they cute. Aside from possibly sustaining a minor concussion (a 4 year old girl slid into my head while i was on the ground!), the week was a total success. Rain couldnt keep us down! (except for Wednesday, when it was lightening and thunder all around)..... and as you can tell from the names of the kids I was coaching/in charge of- Anas, Abyen, Abdullahi, Nico, Halima- it was a pretty diverse turnout! All the better. Over 200 kids registered and played throughout the course of the week! I miss working with kids. There's a creative energy in them that you just dont get from people my age or older.

What else? Well, the 4th saw me dealing with the effects of said possible minor concussion (my stomach was sick, my head was in indescribable pain) and so I didnt get to do the normal fireworks stuff. In fact, I was supposed to spend it with my friends Kearah and Adam at Kiip's Red Camp in Gray, but I fell into a bit of a delirious sleep for the afternoon/evening. Not a good scene. However, it was positively SPLENDID to spend time with my family. My Grandma was down and there's never a dull moment with her- truly one of my favorite people. Despite our age difference, I feel like we are the epitome of partners in crime. She is still so strong, sharp, alert at age... 84?

Well, the Mariners tend to embarrass us. I dont know why, but they seem to come out on top when we play them. Doesnt make any sense to me... maybe it is the supernatural power of Ken Griffey Jr because he will always be the man. Just some thoughts- thank you Petey for one more homerun (yesterday). Ellsbury is still beating you in that race :) Is that enough of a taunt to kick you into hr gear? Jon Lester, I want to give you a high five for another strong performance. And of course, hooray for our SIX all-stars... Dustin Pedroia, Jason Bay, Kevin Youkilis, Jonathan Papelbon, Tim Wakefield (extra congrats here), and Josh Beckett. Ian Kinsler really SHOULD get there with that extra player they're selecting. He's had quite a season.

Just completed a trade in one of my leagues (Roto keeper league, AL-only): my ARod, CC, Zobrist (sad!) for his Bay (!), Holliday (!), Kotsay, Lester (!), Figgins. The icing- all of my acquisitions have 3 year contracts, save for Lester who will be back in the pool after this year. ARod and CC on the other hand are both in the last year of their contracts. Zobrist i think has 2 years left. I've grown fond of Ben Zobrist as I have him in one of my yahoo leagues but he sealed this deal, so I thought it worthwhile. Also very good for me, because two of my outfielders were recently traded to the NL, which means i had two gaping holes on my team. There was no one to pick up (no one who is getting any sort of regular playing time.. slim pickings for free agents). I am optimistic as to how this will improve my place in the standings. If nothing else, I cant get much worse off than I already am in that league. Plus I'll have Jason Bay for 3 more years! (DO NOT TRADE HIM... Spend big on SOMEONE who's worth it even if Lugo and Drew (to some extent) were busts for their pricetags!)

Mmmm, my officemates are enjoying the fruits of my strawberry-picking labors this past weekend. Fresh strawberries!! And cherries, less than $2/lb at Star Market. H'amazing!

I will be at Fenway tomorrow (I hate this, i feel like I havent been there for EONS... and they're gone for 2 solid weeks at the start of August too!) and thursday, the latter trip being with my mom's faculty. Looking forward to taking her gym teacher up on the Monstah for Sox bp. He's my age and a serious Sox fan. Plus he can beat me in wiffle ball. ...this is not to say that I cant beat him. I'm sure I can and will, next time we play.

Strange times- both games on Pawtucket's schedule this weekend were ppd due to a soggy field. They're having drainage problems over there in Scranton/Wilkes Barre, apparently. Bowden and Zink are slated for tonight's doubleheader, assuming that they've all figured out the field situation by then. I'm thinking that this could be a great thing for me, as I will be able to see three games this weekend- one with MB pitching and then both games directly before and after. Havent seen him pitch in quite a while actually... I need to count up my ticket stubs. I've been to a TON of games, plenty in Pawtucket. Next week i'm out early for Petey bobblehead night at the Spinners, and the next week after that i'm out early for J Masterson bobblehead night up in Lowell again. Next bobblehead after that is Michael Bowden night in early August... I've got that whole day off so that I can get up there and snag some lunch with one or both parents.

Well, lunch break is well past over. But the sun is shining and it is GLORIOUS outside... dry, not humid; not hot; not chilly. We have waited for this... New England has been missing out on its daily dose of Vitamin D. Ah well, a few days of sunshine and I think we can forgive the weather for its bad behavior.

Sunshine and a boy. I am smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.