Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cape Cod All-Star game

It rained, and so -admittedly- I did not stay for the entire Cape Cod All Star game. I'm usually a trooper through rain and cold (and shorts, and no sweatshirt) but tonight was just not the night for all of that. Anyhow, I arrived around 4 at Fenway, so though I'm not saying that I had already spent plenty of time there by the point at which I left (around 7:45pm) I AM saying that my entire body was as wet, my hands and clothes as spongy, as 4 hours out in the rain will make a person.

I loved every second of it, though.

If you ask me in person, I'll rave to you about everything I witnessed on the field during and prior to the game. The pre-game homerun derby was a bit weak, but fun anyhow. I was in a field box seat behind the sox dugout and in prime position despite the umbrellas that kept popping up thoughout the section.
...just a note: you paid $10 to see a game. i paid $10 to see a game. you are watching the game. i am watching your umbrella. if you want to have it open, well, you cant. or you're not supposed to, because it takes up a WHOLE lot of space- more than you think. go sit under the overhang if you're really that worried about the rain.
well, again, it wasnt so bad for me, but i knew that the people around me were unfortunately in seats where umbrellas had become unexpected but full-on obstructions to their view of the field. anyhow, i cant wait to pay attn to the cape league next year. kind of a drive, but then again, so is Pawtucket. I'll tell you this- Pawtucket cant play like these kids can. Everyone on the field from both teams was a Dustin Pedroia, was a Jacoby Ellsbury, an Evan Longoria... super talented, super young, and always motoring. I was impressed just from watching each team take BP and then fielding practice prior to the game. Guys were running on and off the field as if they were aggressively running the bases! The game itself was pretty fast-paced. A ton of very sharp-looking plays in the 3 full innings I stayed for. Every batter blazed towards first after making contact, and so many routine ground balls to short or third were very close plays, always a near tie at 1st between the batter and the ball.
There was one particular pitcher on the West team (plays for Wareham) who impressed me the most- though the West pitching was clearly dominating the East for the time i was there. Workman was our starter over two innings, and then Eric Pfisterer came in. He was born in 1990. yes, FIVE WHOLE YEARS after I was born. THREE after my younger brother. I cant even fathom... but he was so efficient and was really workin it tonight. A lefty with a fastball that generally clocks in through the low-90s, a curve, and a changeup (minus the lefty bit, sound familiar?).. also has one of those fully-overarmed deliveries where it looks like he's brought the ball straight up over his head and then uses his upper body in a motion that seems to hurl the ball downhill (another point of familiarity..).


.... i got sidetracked. for over an hour. it's way past bedtime. more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.