Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cha'lie Zink.

June 19th game vs the braves... i saw a marriage proposal flash up on the big screen in center field, and all of a sudden a man who is literally 2 feet to my right (i'm on the aisle, grandstands) and 3 steps down drops to his knee in front of his girlfriend! that was a crazy moment.

Just recalled that and had to jot it down. The Paw Sox offense showed signs of life (they had scored 3 runs in the last 31 innings prior to tonight's game, or something crazy-ish like that) and it even appeared as if they were staging some sort of come back throughout the game- they fell behind early- but it wasnt enough. I hung out by the bullpen before the game and watched Charlie Zink warming up, because I was curious to see what his knuckleball looks like up close. What a sweet pitch. I was mesmerized even though I could tell that it wasnt 100%. Quite a few pitches actually had some spin on them but the ones that he nailed, well, I just had to see it again and again. [[I probably looked pretty silly- a 23 year old female sitting by the chain link fence, surrounded by boys 5-12 years of age i'm guessing (most of them in boy scout uniforms- it was boy scout sleep over night). That's how it is for me a lot of the time though... I have learned not to let not fitting in stop me from doing things. What woman (of my age.. of any age..) goes to baseball games alone (and not just major league but minor league, all around new england), and who among them enjoys SCORING these games for the mere sake of.. scoring the game? I guess stopping to think about it makes me self-conscious.]] Anyhow. Suffice it to say that I learned a little bit from watching Charlie and now that I have a better sense of how to grip the ball I want to try again :) I had always gripped it with all 4 fingernails and sort of heaved it almost shotput like (well, not that drastic obviously, but it felt a little like that)... just trying to get the spin off of it... we'll see how my new knowledge helps.

The Red Sox had an interesting night themselves, a bit of a rollercoaster. Aaron Bates got his first major league hit (I've been a little out of it lately.. i dont know that I even mentioned here that he got bumped up to Boston). Smoltzy did it up. We were ahead 9-1 at one point, the Royals closed the gap by the 7th inning to 9-7, and then we broke it open again in the 7th when a few KC pitchers loaded the bases several times (a couple times on purpose! boy did that backfire, and i was positively gleeful listening to the game in my car heading back up I-95 from Pawtucket. One thing I've learned- if the bases are gonna be juiced, opposing teams should never intentionally walk a guy to get to Tek.. it always backfires, whether we're talking errors, more walks, or grand slams). But you know, we pulled out the win. Tek got another homerun (slowed up a bit on this front, but still on his way to 30!!! i swear it. now or never).

In other news, today was BEAUTIFUL once again. Although now it's raining. This concerns me, because I wonder if it will stop again (last time it started, it lasted for 4 weeks).

WHY am I still awake? Poor decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.