Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buchholz Bombs

Well, maybe not that bad. vs A's. 5.2 IP, 9 hits, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K. But the pace he set for the game is something we never recovered from. 107 pitches thrown by Buckaroo. 2 hours into the game, and we were just at the mid-4th mark. I didnt watch his last start but I know that this one was comparable to that one with regards to pace/pitch count. Going too deep in counts. I dont mean to sound overly critical here- if you're reading this post, you've likely read others, and have picked up on my decided non-fandom. I've got to say, he's one of ours, and as such I want him to succeed so that the Red Sox can succeed. I mean it. Anyhow, the game is still going. We're in the 11th now... A's just scored a pair.

Spent most of the game watching from the Bleacher Bar. i give it two thumbs up. wasnt crowded which was nice, though that must just be a tuesday night thing. sweet to be field-level. If you've never been there, it's a bar that's built into the wall / under where bleachers would continue on to be out in center field. If you look at the wall behind where Jacoby stands you can see a square of metal gate which is colored/shaded so that people on the field side cant see in but those inside the bar can see out. biggest gripe- my soup was good, but for $4 it was tiiiiiiiiny.

So Buck and Bowden and Westmoreland (who apparently wasnt part of the offer afterall) and Lars and Josh etc etc are still ours. The story changes hour by hour but I cant help tracking it all the same. PawSox games wont be the same without those furtive glances that i still have yet to really understand. I'll admit to my lack of perspective on this whole trade deadline thing. Kind of feel like i've had the rug pulled out from under me... thought that Theo was a little more protective of his team's future, a lot more keen on building as much depth as possible in arms down through the system (several writers have made the point that with smoltz flopping, penny cooled off, wake on the DL, dice-k... aaahahahaha, and buchholz adequate at best, our pitching "depth" consists more of kids who will be ready in a year or two- that all of a sudden, we're down to trying out bowden next, and tazawa come september). where do we go if we lose buchholz and bowden or masterson? i just dont get it. yes, we'll have halladay, lester, beckett... and then? tell me who you'd insert there. because no matter who i think of (major league ready), it means two days of REALLY hit or miss ball. struggle, inconsistency. Coming into 2009, pitching was supposed to be our no-brainer. It has proven to be anything but.

I am very literally falling asleep in my chair. gonna make the switch to my bed. no more energy to write good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.