Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jammin To Oasis All Day Long..

Everyone knows. Petey didnt hit Kottaras home. We lost. It was embarrassing and it wasnt the first time this season that the Red Sox have disintegrated mid-game. Thankfully, I think the Sox are still widely considered to be the team that will pull off a rally when a rally is needed. Nothing is ever over till it's over. Papelbon is a problem, and the red flags that have been popping up all season with regards to him are not going away. True- relatively speaking, he is still mostly getting it done. He plays for a great team that has the ability to give him run support. I'm not even close to the first one to say it- and I've been thinking this for the majority of the season, so nothing new about any of this- but Paps isnt clutch anymore. Those lights-out 9th innings are few and far between these days. He walks guys (a lot). He gives up home runs. He's not the closer he was last year, not by a long shot. Does he really deserve that big $$ contract that he was chattering about this past offseason? I've no doubt that someone would offer it to him. But as for the interests of our team, i'm split- I miss the adrenaline and cocky energy that Paps brought last year.. it was truly electric. He doesnt bring the same presence in 2009. My excitement at his entrance into a game begins and ends with Shipping Up To Boston.
This is not all to say that Paps lost the game for us... we had some other issues defensively, and though Clay had a pretty bland outing in my opinion (underwhelming I guess... nothing like the ACE he's projected to be), there were errors and plays that didnt get turned and things that didnt fall our way. Whatever happened to pitching endurance by the way? 5.2 innings is ok for a starter. Not great. In the 6th I recall that he walked a guy on 4 pitches. Whoever comes up from AAA, I would hope they'd bring a serious fresh arm. I dont know, maybe my standards are too high. Then again, we've got one of the most powerful pitching staffs in MLB. If the standards arent high here then I dont know how we got to where we are.

Phillies just acquired Cliff Lee. The anxiety continues regarding talks between the Red Sox and Blue Jays.

A few of us from work are heading to McGreevy's this evening. We have a voucher for 2 hours free in the downstairs VIP room, access to whatever video games they've got, and some free apps.... all because our last trip there was VERY unsatisfactory. I couldnt believe the way I was treated by the manager, or whoever he was. In thinking about it, I'm really not aware of any other instance in which I have been more aggressively disrespectfully treated. The only reason I'm bothering to go back is because of the free stuff. Too bad because it's a cool place. Baseball bar. Co-owned by Dropkick Murphys guys. Right around the corner from the office.

Back to work. Adios...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.