Saturday, June 13, 2009

It might be cool, I dont know.. and if it's not I dont care

As Bill Simmons would say, "OHHHHHHHHHHH JOHNNY!"

By far my favorite among our starters, Jon Lester is lookin mighty good these days. Last night found me laying on a couch in the dark of our second floor common room, eyes starting to droop around the top of each inning... but when Lester was on the mound, different story. He pitched an incredible game. Spread over 7 innings... 2 hits, 1 run, 11 k's. Struck out the side (6 k's in a row) in the 4th and 5th innings. MLB.com tells us he retired 17 of the last 18 batters he faced. Bigger picture- over his last three starts, he's notched 10+ k's each time. They said last night that he's the first lefty in Red Sox history to strike out 10 or more in three consecutive starts. (dont you just love these little factoids... this sport is filled with them, so you know that over the course of your career you're probably going to do something record-breaking :) )

One of my favorite moments of the game- Justin Masterson striking out Greg Dobbs one pitch after Dobbs had jacked a just-foul rocket to right. Would have been a 3 run hr, and a walk-off at that, but it was not to be.. Masterson got out unscathed.

My least favorite part of the game- Petey going 0-7. But what he would have to say about it is that ultimately, it's about the team getting the win. And that's good enough for me. 

I just baked a gorgeous, flawless batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Soon, I'll take a nap, as I'm catching a midnight viewing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Cleveland Corner, hosted by Johnny Cupcakes. Other than that, today was uneventful. I havent been feeling well at all, so after a morning excursion of softball and walking all over Boston (it was beautiful outside... I had to put in some time in the sunshine) I retired inside for a late lunch. I've been groggy/half asleep ever since, so I may as well get that out of the way and just go to sleep. 

Michael Bowden is going tonight for the Paw Sox. They're back home soon (thankfully, even when I feel like they're going to be gone for a long time, they always come back sooner than I expect) and I have another packed week of games ahead- Monday and Tuesday, Pawtucket; Wednesday, Company Party; Thursday, Sox vs Marlins; Friday, probably Sox if the price is right, or possibly sleep; Saturday, Sox vs Braves up on the Monstah for my brother's birthday (I'm a great sister). Bummed that the Paw Sox have been gone, and will only play 4 games this week until they're gone again for another full week. The big club wont play at Fenway for the last week+ of the month.. I feel like they keep going on long road trips, and it makes me frown.
But the Marlins and Braves games should be great. I wont be alone for either one of them. Nice perk once in a while.

The kids in the neighboring yard are playing some sort of baseball (wiffle ball? but i can actually hear a ball hitting a mit. still, their yard is WAYYY too tiny for hardball.. and there are about 8 kids over there with a smattering of parents. the space is about as large as a good-sized living room.)

Let's hope Dice-K is as good with a bat as he says he is (or has been). That would be redeeming. Also, Sir #3 Pitcher, please do what we need you to do tonight and go for 6, preferably 7 innings... our pen is tuckered out.



Here we go Petey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
There is no offseason.